Monday, April 27, 2009

Yard dweller

This lovely lady was found curled up under a rock in my back yard. She was identified as Storeria dekayi, or Dekay's Brown snake, and I was informed that she was pretty big for her species. I live in a pretty busy residential neighborhood, so I was surprised to find her, considering all the fruitless years I spent as a kid hunting for frogs and snakes in Memphis city. My next door neighbors have a rather neglected above ground pool in their back yard, which may be serving as a breeding ground for herps.
This snake seriously does not enjoy being handled, leaving me covered in noxious stink juice every time I pick her up, but it was a cool surprise to find her in my own back yard. This common Tennessee snake is currently residing in a terrarium over my (retired) fireplace, and enjoys eating worms, but doesn't seem to care for slugs so much. Her name is Beaker.
Stacey McNiell (Memphis, TN)

No comments: