Sunday, April 12, 2009

I almost forgot about the Slimy Salamanders

Adorable Slimy Salamanders (Plethodon chlorobryonis or variolatus) [probably Atlantic Coast or South Carolina species]

When you get your hands on these guys, they are a little difficult to identify at first - but if you hold on to them for a minute - it becomes pretty obvious. My hands were covered with slimy sticky gunk (like the difficult to get off slim that comes from worms when your baiting your fishing hook). They aren't called slimy salamanders for nothing. I have found a bunch of these over the past few weeks, mostly under logs but a couple under just trash or leaves. They have only been in areas that were damp, nowhere that was really wet or completely dry. The smaller slimy salamanders were under logs that seemed to be a little more rotten, they fell apart when I was rolling them over. I don't know if that is because the larger ones were better able to get away and hide or if the small ones are normally under that type of log. I found two color variations - solid black (or dark grayish in the light) or black with light colored specks.




















No comments: