Sunday, April 12, 2009

A couple of Hyla









The three pictures right above this are all of the same little dude, he changed colors a few times. When I found him (in the woods behind my friends house) he was a darker brown, then became a light, almost yellow, green and finally became the mustard-ish green you can see in the very top (of the 3) picture. These quick color changes are the main reason I think that this one is more likely to be a squirrel treefrog (Hyla squirella) than a green treefrog (Hyla cinerea).

Now, I am pretty sure that the pictures at the very top are of a green treefrog (Hyla cinerea). The white stripe can clearly be seen on this little guy and he was quite a bit bigger than the one directly above. Green treefrogs are usually from 2 to 3 inches where squirrel treefrogs are only 1 to 1.5 inches (from the field guide). I found the green treefrog on the back of a tree near the fish hatchery in Moncks Corner, South Carolina. I snapped the picture of my surroundings, which is the very first picture, a few minutes after I found him.

No comments: