Sunday, April 12, 2009

Toads





I am not sure about this toad's species. I think that it is most likely a Southern Toad (Bufo terrestris) because that is what the Peterson Field Guide says is here. But I am not sure. He doesn't have the pronounced knobs behind the crest, but he was pretty small, probably less than an 1 1/2, so maybe he is a juvenile. I found him the near the place I found the green treefrog (near the hatchery in Moncks Corner, SC) but he was tucked under some leaf litter at the base of a tree that had blown over (picture is a little foggy looking - sorry).

I also found this guy (pictures below) in the same sort of place, a blown over tree, but a little farther into the woods. You can clearly see the knobs and crest on him.
So I think that he is a better candidate for being a Southern Toad (Bufo terrestris)




No comments: