Friday, April 10, 2009

Eastern Fence Lizard













I was so excited to find this Eastern Fence Lizard, Sceloporus undulatus, while on a field trip not with my Herp class but with my Plant Systematics class. I don't know how we spotted him on the bark of this tree because his cryptic coloration is amazing. These lizards are found all over the southeastern United States. They like to live in dry, open forests, they eat insects, spiders and other small invertebrates. They grow in size anywhere from 4 inches up to 7.5 inches. The fence lizards breed in the spring and this male already had his beautiful blue chin and sides that indicate he is ready and willig mate. That coloration is an example of sexual dimorphism among this species. The females usually have some dark banding patterning on thier backs that the males do not exhibit. This was the first local lizard I have ever found besides skinks so I was super happy and surprised.

JENA FAY, TN

No comments: