Monday, April 27, 2009

Bufo americanus

While at a friends house one night, I couldn't help but here an ever so pleasant sound of spring time.  I  walked over to the ditch on the side of the road and found a couple american toads in chorus.  I reached my hand down and one of the excited toads began amplexus with my thumb.  Since this happened so quick I wanted to take him inside and get to know him better before I made that kind of commitment.  I could identify the american toad, Bufo americanus, by his single wart per spot.  His parotid glands did not touch the cranial crest either.  Afterwards, I told him I just wasn't ready for a relationship and he hopped back into the ditch side.  I later found out that the water the american toads were calling in was the result of a leaky fire hydrant.  However, as the city fixed the leak there was no worry of endangered eggs.  Seems that the guys had a rather unsuccessful night.  Save one. . . (Cody Rabert, Oxford, OH).

No comments: