Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sceloporus undulatus




I was at a family gathering on Easter Sunday when I found this guy hanging out on the ground. I must have frightened him because he then dashed for a nearby tree. He then sat there motionless and I noticed his blue sides and neck. I knew immediately that he was a Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus). Fence lizards range from 4-7 inches and have "spiny" scales. Females are patterned on top with gray coloring while males are brown on top and patterned on bottom. Males usually show more blue coloring than females. The field guide also talks about when they are on the ground and are startled, they dash for a tree and remain motionless until the coast is clear (which is what happened when I first saw this little guy.) This was the first fence lizard that I have seen and the blue coloring on his sides were beautiful!!
Kristie Burr (SC)

No comments: