Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Skinks and their ticks...


I came across a poor little Southeastern Five-Lined Skink (Eumeces inexpectatus) who was heavily laden with ticks! I found him in the Francis Marion National Forest, about 1 mile from Bull's Bay, a mix of forest and sandy substrate which is the perfect habitat for this tolerant species. I imagine the parasite load is what made him somewhat easy to catch (if you've ever tried to capture any skink, you are familiar with how quick these fellows are). I was able to identify the exact species of skink due to the tell-tale arrangement of scales under the tail - which are all about the same size. Whereas in the Five-Lined and Broadhead (fasciatus and laticeps) the scales on the middle row are a bit enlarged. This individual appeared to be a young adult in the beginning of its mating season, hence the slightly more vibrant orange hue to it's jowls.

I promptly removed the nasty, gluttonous ticks - all fourteen of them! Most were concentrated behind the armpits of the forelimbs with a few stragglers feeding from the same spot on the hindlimbs.

Hilariously enough (ok, not really) I was found to have contracted a serious tick-borne illness with 6 weeks of this encounter. Was it worth it? Honestly? No. Not at all. I hate saying that because I love my herps but jeez... Anyhow, here's a blurry picture of the poor guy... The ticks are the bluish orbs clustered behind the right limb featured in the picture.

(Channing Derry, SC)

1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...

Sorry the ticks got the better of you. I'm sure the skink appreciated the relief, though.