Tuesday, April 12, 2011



Over spring break, I went on a camping trip to Buck's Pocket State Park, Alabama hoping, primarily, to catch a few fish and relax. As usual, I neglected to check the local weather forecast and as a consequence spent most of the time battling the elements. Despite 7.5" of rain and unexpected floodwaters which washed my car thirty feet or so down the river bank, I managed to catch a few slimy salamanders (Plethodon spp.). However, the camera was lost in the fray. So, feeling defeated and exhausted, I made the long trek back to Holly Hill, SC. Fortunately, the weather was much more agreeable and allowed me to do all of the exploring, fishing, etc. that I longed for. I took my kayak and fishing rod out to Four-Holes Swamp, planning to catch some bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus), redear (L. microlophus), and pumpkinseed (L. auritus). While I caught a few, the water was still a little too low for good fishing. So, I started plundering through the muggy swamp, flipping over logs, and giving in to the mosquitoes. Almost immediately, a yellowish blur scurried down into to the leaf matter, but I was still able to catch it. It turned out to be a slender Three-Lined Salamander (Eurycea longicauda guttolineata) about 3.5-4" long. These are fairly easy to identify, since the three lines on its back and sides are so pronounced and because the tail is exceedingly long. It was curled up in a very damp area, so moist that the water was on the surface. After placing this little fellow in a jar with a few wet napkins, I continued to explore the immediate vicinity. It wasn't long before I had caught two Dwarf Salamanders (Eurycea quadridigitata), which are distinguished by their four toes on each foot and darker underside (instead of E. chamberlaini which usually has a lighter yellow belly). For me, however, the highlight of the search was yet to come. I began, not only flipping over the subsequent logs, but also digging a little under each one. This proved pretty successful, since I rounded up two plump adult Marbled Salamanders (Ambystoma opacum) that were around 6-7". These were caught only a few yards apart from each other, and were probably migrating up to the surface in response to the rainy season.
(Phillip Carson, SC)

1 comment: