Thursday, April 28, 2011

Green Anole by the Pool







This cute Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) came up next to my lounge chair at the pool one day. I only had my phone near me to take pictures so they aren't super great. From what I could see this lizard was most likely a female because I didn't see any evidence of a dewlap. She was between 5-6 inches in length and had a white line running down her back. According to the species guide anoles are commonly found on fences, vines, and old buildings. I watched this one skitter over the flower bed and up onto the fence next to me. I didn't try to catch it because of my previous bad luck at catching lizards and I didn't want to miss a good photo opportunity. It was very warm and sunny that afternoon so it's a good guess that she was probably looking for a place to sun herself and warm up. Anoles are pretty common in SC and I've seen them all over my apartment complex. In nature they tend to be arboreal with toe pads on their feet to help them climb.

Emily Hood (SC)

No comments: