Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Extra Roommates



So here it is, the Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis. Classic, right? I swear that I have a motel's worth of them around my house. Typically arboreal, this one was in a small growth of ivy under my house. I took a shot at catching him after taking this picture but he darted downward into where the ivy is much thicker and conveniently brown and dead. He blended pretty well and I couldn't find him after that. He was about 8 cm in overall length and probably young. I was unable to determine a sex. And he is one of many bold anoles living on or around my house. Seems like if I'm around the outside of the house I'll run into one. Encounters on the porch typically lead to me sitting while an anole climbs up onto the porch railing in front of me, shows his dewlap, and starts bobbing his head in a display of machismo. They think they own the place.

-Hill Felton
Photographed in downtown under my house

No comments: