Friday, April 22, 2011

Greater Siren No More


The muck and the anaerobic water sucked on my boots as I walked through the swampy water to get to the trap. As I untied the trap from the tree stump erected from the water I noticed a large black body, about a foot and a half, in the trap. I couldn't really see what it was and as I freed the trap from the grass I noticed an eel like body and I immediately thought of a two-toed amphiuma but upon further inspection I saw that the limbs were further developed and had four digits and that there were no hind limbs. This fact led me to believe that the animal caught was in fact a siren and from the speckling and the large body I deduced that it was the Greater Siren, Siren lacertina. From the size of the siren, it was most likely an adult. I can tell that the greater siren is paedomorph because it still has external gills, a larval trait which has been retained in adult form. As an aside, I could also deduce that the siren was dead because it was not moving at all as I moved the trap form the three feet deep water I was standing in to the shore of the swamp.


Many stumps of dead trees surrounded the site where I gathered the siren. There were many logs on the ground in the water and there was long grass surrounding the area. The trek out to the trap began easily but then the mud became very thick and kept sucking my boots down further as I pushed of the ground to propel myself towards the trap. For a swamp area, there were not many bugs but there were many frogs in the background communicating. The spot where the tap sat in the water was also quite shady for such a sunny day. -----(Joshua Dillon, SC)

No comments: