Thursday, April 21, 2011

Aligators in my Ornithology Lab









This morning during my ornithology lab we went to Magnolia Plantation in Charleston SC to obeserve birds, but that didn't stop me from noticing all the Herps as well. Walking along the paths I was able to observe several different herps (Anoles, Yellow-belly Sliders, Alligators and a glimpse of a Frog). I was able to take two pictures with the camera on my phone that were of good enough quality to discern what they were of (the camera on my phones sucks), one of large Yellow-belly slider(which defecated when a fellow student tried to pick her up) and the other was of a rather small American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis). I saw numerous Alligators ranging in size from around 2 - 8 feet in length, this one being around 3-4 feet and just close enough to the bank where I could creep up and get a some what focused picture. Convenient for me I had a pair of binoculars (for bird watching) that allowed me to get an up close view of the gator without actually being up close and personal. This small gator was just one of many that I saw this morning, all sitting motionless in the sun.




(P.D. Inabinett SC)

No comments: