Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why study when I can look for herps?


So, instead of studying the other day, I decided to go for a walk out at a friend's farm outside of Oxford. It was a nice day and I decided to put away my books and get outside for some fresh air. As I began my walk along the fields and in the fence rows, I found some toads, and knew it was going to be a good day. Then as I tooka few more steps, boom, there it was, an easter garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis. It was coiled up and luckly I snapped a picture of this guy before it got spooked by me trying to pick it up and check it out. Growing about 18-26 inches in length, and with yellow to green strips running down its side. It is pretty much seen from the Mississippi River, eastward. This guy was by hiimself, although they are known for overwintering in balls with many other garters, and come out performing mating balls. I wish I would have seen this, but I didn't get that chance. Here is the picture I snapped:
(Matt Friend)


No comments: