Thursday, April 29, 2010

southern two-lined salamander

On April 8 we went out to a stream in Hueston Woods and this is where I caught a southern two-lined salamander. I remember this stream being pretty difficult to walk through because the current was moving so fast, I almost fell a few time because of the current and the fact that rock on the bed of the stream were large and very uneven. So I tried to stay along the bank as much as I could and that were I found the the southern two-lined salamander. Many people that day had found them also so mine did not get its picture taked, but I was happy to find it none the less. I was flipping over flat rocks and then I saw it dart out from under one of them and run for cover under another rock so I had to act fast. I reached for it as quickly and as gently as I could and I got it around the body. I didn't realize how fast they were and as soon as saw it run I thought that I was going to lose it, but I was able to stay with it and catch it.
The southern two-lined salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) can be found from Ohio and Indiana down to the pan handle of Florida. They can get about 4 inches long have 2 dark stripes that run from their heads to their tails without breaking up into spots, unlike the northern two-lined salamander who looks similar. They can be found under many different objects along bodies of water. (posted by Nathan Tallarico)

No comments: