Thursday, April 29, 2010

Turtles to come...


As some of you may know, I work for Bagel and Deli in uptown Oxford. Well the other night this past weekend was our senior employee dinner, and we all went to our boss' house for a late afternoon/night of fun and celebration. Since I am a huge fisherman, I asked my boss if I could go check out his pond and look around. As I began my walk around the pond, I began noticing tadpoles which he had told me about as well as this guy sitting on a log in the pond. I did not have my camera so I have to use a picture I got offline to show you, but I knew I wanted to blog about this turtle since we have been told our upcoming lab is going to be turtle trapping and I expect we may see a few of these. The red eared slider, Trachemys scripta, is seen in Butler county and southwest Ohio extending further south and west to Texas. These guys about 5-8 inches in length with the most pronounced red mark on its ear. These turtles prefer ponds with a muddy bottom as well as a vast amount of vegetation. As I saw, it basks on logs above water or areas of floating plants. Here is a picture from the webite http://www.survey-arg.org/ showing the unique markings of this fellow.

(Matt Friend)

No comments: