Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two queen snakes under one rock

On April 22 our herp class went to a stream in Heuston Woods that was very cool looking. It had many short waterfall like drop offs that gave the stream a staggered look, also along the banks were many large flat stones and other places for herps to hide and as a class it was probably our best day of find reptiles and amphibians. One thing that I caught that was pretty cool was a nice sized queen snake, about 12 inches long. I was walking along the stream flipping over rocks here and there to see what if any thing was under them. Then Tom who was a little bit ahead of me called me over to a very large flat stone that he was standing, it was so big and heavy that both of us had to lift it together. And underneath we found not one but two queen snakes and as soon as we saw them we grab them. The one that I went for was about 12 inches long and Tom's was a little smaller at around 8-9 inches. When I tried to pick mine up I suddenly realized how hard they were to hold onto. At one point I had it around the body and I almost lost it, but Tyler came over and helped me out by getting the snake before I dropped it and it helped me to reprosition one of my hands up closer to the queen snake's to were I could hold on to it better. Unfortunately no picture was taken the queen snake that I caught.
The queen snake (Regina septemvittata) can be found all over the midwest from as far north as Michigan and as far south as the pan handle of Florida. They can grow from anywhere from 15-24 inches in length, which leads me to believe that the one that I caught was not a fully grown adult yet. They are very strong swimmers and they will try to get into the water as fast as possible if the feel threated, which is what the ones that Tom and I caught seemed to be trying to do right after we flipped over the rock they were under. (posted by Nathan Tallarico)

No comments: