Sunday, April 25, 2010

Herps of the Ecuadorian Amazon

This past summer I was in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Here are a few herp pictures, of many. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about their life history, or even what the species are for most of them. However, I included what I knew.

I have no idea what this snake is. It is some sort of nocturnal vine snake. It was approximately 13 inches long and was found in a dense forest area preying on a spider.

Boa constrictor in its natural habitat. I almost stepped on this one while chasing monkeys. We gathered a group of people to come and measure her. She was 16 1/2 feet long, making her one of the largest boa constrictors ever recorded.

Dendrobatid found in a moist tree fall with a lot of canopy cover.



black caiman (Melanosuchus niger) found in a small laguna. Most adults are 10-14 feet in length, although some accounts claim that they can grow up to 20 feet. They are primarily nocturnal and are the top predator in the Ecuadorian Amazon.




1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...

Sorry, I forgot (posted by Maura Reilly)