Sunday, April 25, 2010

Live common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina)

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to post. But if I did, the picture would show a adult, common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) that was caught on 8 April 2010 at Hueston Woods State Park, Preble Co., Ohio. It was a cool day with overcast skies. The county was on flood watch due to the torrential rains that fell a few days prior. Needless to say, the rivers, creeks, and ponds were at max capacity. Our class went to an ephemeral pond to search for herps, but we weren't having any luck with the exception of a small spring peeper. I ventured to a nearby creek that was about ankle deep. The current was decently quick and the water was cold, maybe 60 F. In a deep pool, huddled up against some rocks, I spotted a common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina). It was big (to me at least); the carapace measured 10 inches from anterior to posterior. I thought it was dead like the other ones our class found, so I poked it with a stick to check. It wasnt dead! Next thought it my mind: call for the TA to see how I'm supposed to pick up a turtle that could bite my fingers off. Unfortunately, she couldn't hear me calling. Regardless, I decided to pick the turtle up and I grabbed both ends of the carapace towards the hind limbs. He (I believe it was a male) was heavy but not too lively so I managed to keep all of my fingers, although he tried to steal them a few times.

Chelydra serpentina are omnivorous turtles weighing about 10-35 pounds and are typically 8-14 inches in length (The one I found was approximately 14 inches in total and weighed roughly 20 pounds). These turtles don't often bask, preferring water or mud. They have a small plastron and a strong, rough carapace. They have a very rapid strike and can reach prey (or fingers) well beyond the expected range, reaching nearly 1/2 the length of its carapace. Word to the wise: they will also try to bite faces, so make sure that you keep your face well away from it.

(posted by Maura Reilly)

No comments: