Thursday, April 29, 2010

first herps that I caught in the field

Unfortunately the first thing I caught in the field did not get a picture taken of it, so I got this picture online. It was a spring peeper (Pseudacris crusifer) and I caught it on March 18 when our class went to our 2nd site that day in the marshy ponds at Rush Run. We were in water that was in some places as high as our hips and waists surrounded by cat tails and other very tail marsh plants. The main thing that I remeber about this site is the amount of noise that these little frogs made, it hurt my ears, but it did make them easier to find. I just followed their calls until I saw one in a more shallow area of the pond. So I scooped it up before it swam away. This guy was tiny, maybe only 1 inch for its entire body.
Spring peepers (Pseudacris crusifer) are found almost everywhere on the eastern half of the United States. They can grow up to 1 and a half inches so they stay pretty small. They have two features that let you ID them; one is the X shaped mark on their backs and the other is their loud "PEEP" call that they make. (post by Nathan Tallarico)

No comments: