Monday, April 14, 2014

Slimy and Adorable

Marbled Salamander:  Ambystoma Opacum

We found a marbled salamander when we visited Francis Marion National Forest. There is a picture of it someone's hand above.  You can tell it is a marbled salamander because of its white banded pattern on a black background.  You can tell it is an adult because it was 4 inches long, smaller compared to other species of salamanders. You can tell that it is male because it has white stripes.  Females have grey stripes.

It was found in it's usual habitat, under a rotting log that was halfway in the water and half way on land. This is good for salamanders because they live on land, but must stay moist. The log also provides protection from predators.

The salamander didn't try to run away and was very docile when I picked him up.  He also did not dart under the log when I put him back where I found him.  Even when I walked away, he still was in the same spot!  So either he wanted me to take him home, or he was just lazy/ not very active.  He was kind of slimy, but it didn't bother me because he was so cute!

I'm surprised that I have never encountered a salamander like that before because he was so easy to find!  I never thought a creature so adorable would live under a such a soggy gross log.

Chelsea Smith
Natural History Blog


1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Perhaps soggy and gross are in the eye of the beholder!