Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pickerel Frog (Lithobates palustrus)

Perusing my pictures on my computer, I stumbled across a picture I took at my lake house last summer of a pickerel frog (Lithobates palustrus).  I took this picture down in the dense vegetation around the corner from my dock.  The specimen was approximately two and a half inches in size, definitely a mature adult.  It's easily distinguishable as a pickerel frog from its prominent dorsolateral ridges and square-like camouflage patterning.  Lithobates are considered the "true frogs," laying their eggs in water, going through a tadpole stage, and maturing, only to continue to live in and around a water source.  The specimen I observed appears to be a male, as it was making its low-pitched, snore-like call as I approached for the picture.  I normally collect smaller specimens around the grassy areas just above the water line, but the larger individuals tend to reside around the pond.  L. palustris seems (from what I've seen) to have a much larger population around my lake than other common species like L. catesbeianus or L. clamitans.


3 comments:

Allison Welch said...

Very cool! Where and when?

Anonymous said...

Out of all the frogs we've studied, the Pickerel Frog is my favorite. The reason why is because I'm so fascinated of the detail of his physical apperance. These frogs are beautiful to me and I was hoping to find one on our field trips. It was easy for me to identify these species as I study for the lab quizzes. Their physical depiction reminds me of a pickle, I don't know why, but it does ! Cool Blog !

Unknown said...

This one I found about mid-June up at my lake house in Northern Maine!