Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Natural History of Anolis carolinensis (Green Anole)

I spotted this Anolis carolinensis climbing on the cement wall lining the Cistern on a hot evening last Sunday. We have seen many green anole specimens on our field trips, but I have yet to see one this bright green. This individual was pretty large, I estimated around six to seven inches. I believe this individual was a male because I saw a flash of red as I walked towards him, but I am not positive. You can see it has a pretty well-defined white stripe down its back which usually is indicative of being a juvenile or female, but he was rather large to be a juvenile. Once I got close he jumped onto the bush behind the wall and scurried out of sight. Every experience I have had with anoles has allowed me to conclude that they are pretty skittish organisms. This lizard species is arboreal, so he has adaptations such as expanded toe pads that allow him to be a good climber. This adaptation allows for a quick getaway when needed (like when I was approaching him). You will see them a lot around here and throughout the southeast. Since they are arboreal, it is pretty common to see them scurrying up a tree or even your backyard fence. 

 If this individual was a male, it was likely displaying its dewlap to attract females. They also use their dewlap to warn other males to stay out of their territory, but I assumed it was more likely that it was being used for courtship since it was warmer outside and they usually mate in the warmer months. It was also sitting in a more sunny spot on the cement because it is an ectotherm (it moved to the more shaded spot when he noticed me approaching). The sun was acting as an external heat source to regulate his body temperature. He also could have been in a sunny spot because he knew females would also be basking there, which makes it easier for him to find females to mate with. I also thought it was interesting to note that he was in a more raised up position, likely because he was preparing to run away as I neared. If he was in this position on his own, it could be possible he was trying to raise himself up to get more breeze and lower his body temperature through convection. This could also explain him being in a more shaded spot, if I had not spooked him and been the reason he moved there. 

 I loved getting to spot this individual, especially since I have not seen one that was so bright or this large before. I grew up in the area and I find it interesting to spot organisms that I saw all the time growing up but can use the information I have learned in class to understand their behavior and such. I still hope to see one change color one day since they are able to alternate between brown and green.

2 comments:

Allison Welch said...

Nice find! If we can catch one and keep it for a few minutes, it will likely change color (and we can also observe its breathing).

Anonymous said...

Thats a cute little guy!! I actually just saw a green anole on my back porch yesterday! At the time, he was brown and I could see his breathing like Dr. Welch said. He would run a bit and stop to breathe and then run some more. I also actually got to see him displaying his dewlap continuously and doing many little push ups! I am unsure if this had to do with territoriality but I did see him chasing a smaller green anole with the light dorsal stripe (likely a female), so I believe it may have been mating behavior.