Monday, April 25, 2022

Class Mascot Nominee

 I nominate the Chelydra serpentina (Eastern Snapping Turtle) to be our class mascot! 

I nominated this species because they are such ferocious turtles, I mean look at how much of an attitude little Timothy had! Their morphology allows them to easily defend themselves with their incredibly powerful jaw and big heads, which allow a lot of power to be put into their bite. I have also always found their carapace and tail shape really interesting. Their carapace has very prominent keels, which have always reminded me of Bowser's shell from Super Mario. Their tails also have prominent ridges along them. I think these turtles have a very unique morphology that makes you not want to mess with them but find them fascinating at the same time. 

I also think that this species deserves to be our mascot because they have been harvested throughout history to make soup. I believe making them our mascot could help people become educated on how awesome these creatures are so that they are respected more rather than used for soup. 



2 comments:

Mandi Montgomery said...

I absolutely love this photo of Timothy! He looks like he is smiling!

Allison Welch said...

Great nomination!