Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Natural History of the Rough Green Snake, Opheodrys aestivus

The Natural History of the Rough Green Snake, Opheodrys aestivus
The scientific name of the rough green snake is Opheodrys aestivus. I encountered this specimen midday on Sandy Island, SC. The snake was climbing up a small bush beside a richfield when I pulled it off to take a picture. The snake was rather docile and climbed around my hands for a while before it got agitated and released a foul-smelling musk. After this, I released the snake and quickly washed my hands. Because of its length of about eighteen inches, I believe it to be a juvenile; adults can grow up to 32 inches. I did not determine the sex of the snake. I've always like green snakes because of their color and I can remember one being the first my dad gave me to hold when I was little.

The rough green snake is native to the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast US. They prefer the edges of wetlands with overhanging vegetation so they can hunt. They are very arboreal snakes. 



1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Another awesome snake!! Thank you for sharing!