Tuesday, April 7, 2020

My friend Mickey

 My good friend Mickey the rat snake was slithering across the road on March 10, 2020. The natural history of this organism includes slithering within wooded areas, and constricting its prey. Mickey was super cute and a little feisty, but that is ok because he made up for it in handsomeness. This snake stays in the grass, in green areas to use its camouflage, eating mice and rats. I believe he was an eastern rat snake, Elaphe obsoleta , He was a big boy, but he was friendly, danielle told me it was a he, I think he was grown, docile (except for two bites to danielle, sorry danielle). The animal’s habitat was green forest areas, perfect for camouflage! Holding and seeing this guy made me incredibly happy and excited, I was super thankful for Dr. Welch taking us along for such a great experience!  Thank you Mickey for saying hi on my birthday!


 (Courtesy of Olivia)

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Love the photo! (Although I doubt Mickey was as happy about the situation as one might think from his broad grin. Maybe he didn't like my singing?)