Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Natural History of the Black Racer, Coluber constrictor

The Natural History of the Black Racer, Coluber constrictor 
The scientific name of the black racer is Coluber constrictor. I encountered this specimen midday on Sandy Island, SC. It was basking on pine straw when I drove up to it; upon noticing me, it quickly dashed under a dead pine tree. When I tried to pull out an exposed part, the snake bit me but didn't latch on. After prodding it out with a stick, it tried to flee in another direction until I headed it off. At this point, it became aggressive and began striking at me. When it started to slither off again, I grabbed its tail for this photo. Having antagonized it enough, I released it unharmed. It is always fun to encounter racers because of their speed, size, and aggression. It is not uncommon for me to find them in both wetlands and timber alike.

This was certainly a mature racer, as indicated by its length of about five feet. I could not determine its sex. Black racers are native to the eastern US and can be found in almost every habitat. 

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Nice catch! We've been enjoying spotting our backyard black racer during the quarantine!