Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Natural History of the Eastern Garter Snake, Thamnophis sirtalis

Natural History of the Eastern Garter Snake, Thamnophis sirtalis



The scientific name of the eastern garter snake is Thamnophis sirtalis. I encountered this specimen at Driftwood Plantation in Awendaw, SC during a control burn. I found the snake in a disked fire-break which consisted of loose sand. I picked it up for the picture and it tried to burrow into my glove and coil itself up. After taking its picture I released it on the side of the disk line that wasn't being burnt. The snake is obviously a juvenile because it was only a couple inches long. I do not know its sex. 

The eastern garter snake is common throughout the US southeast and can be found in a wide variety of habitats. Below is a picture of a mature eastern garter included for reference that I did not take.

1 comment: