Sunday, April 22, 2018

Mascot nomination: Alligator mississippiensis

I am nominating the species Alligator mississippiensis (American Alligator) as our class mascot. This species captivated our attention on multiple class field trips to different locations outside of and around Charleston, as well as in the South Carolina Aquarium next door to Harborwalk. The American Alligator, in the Family Alligatoridae, is the only species featured on our South Carolina list from the Order Crocodylia. We were able to see numerous individuals, ranging from small young to very large adults. Not only do we enjoy American Alligator sitings, but Claudio can even demonstrate their forbidden characteristic call for the class.

3 comments:

Allison Welch said...

A compelling nomination...

Anonymous said...

A compelling nomination indeed. I will not lie I was very tempted to show off my alligator call, but respected Dr. Welch's rule to forbid the call. Did you know these guys will have around 74 to 80 teeth at a time. I wish they needed dentists because that would be lucrative. Lucky for them they just shed their teeth and grow new ones when they're worn out or damaged.

Anonymous said...

I love these animals! They are beautiful herps, and although too dangerous to be called, their young are adorable! I really enjoyed seeing them on the field trips. They quite truly caught my attention!