Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fungi Carrying Bullfrogs

http://www.conservationmedicine.org/papers/Herp_J_Bullfrog_exptl_infection.pdf

Since I did my presentation on toxins found in amphibians, I was slightly curious to find out that researchers were studying two toxic families of frogs for spreading a fungus to other species. Bufonidae(specifically bullfrogs in this study) are known for their large parotid glands and dendrobatidae is known for their extreme toxicitiy. My research into both of these types of toxins noted that a purpose of these toxins were to prevent fungal growth, so it was odd that both were used in this particular study.

While reading the study, I found it sometimes hard to follow. I had to reread this study many times in order to understand it. In the results, I find it odd that one of the frogs did die from an unrelated experiment. I would think that running two(or more) experiments on these frogs at the same time may affect the results of one or both of the experiments being ran.

One thing that this study did that I liked was run several different experiments with different concentrations and innoculation times of the innoculum

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did it say what the fungus was? In working on my Chitridiomycosis presentation- some Bufo frogs (Bufo marinus) can carry low levels of the Bd fungus which allows them susceptibility to the disease, yet did the article say that they can spread this to other populations (even at that low level)?

Anonymous said...

yes, it's chitridiomycosis.

Allison Welch said...

This article ties in well with some of the recent news about efforts to ban importation and sale of bullfrogs in an attempt to limit the spread of chytridiomycosis. Very timely!