Sunday, March 18, 2012

Natural History: Trachemys scripta


This turtle was photographed at our latest field trip to the Aquarium. While the Aquarium is a great place to observe these turtles, their typical habitats are freshwater sources such as lakes and rivers. This particular species is also a popular pet due to its ease of care and omnivorous diet.

Trachemys scripta also known as the yellow bellied slider can be identified by their characteristic yellow stripes down their head and limbs, as well as their yellow plastron. This particular turtle appears to be female due to its large size and short claws.

I was fortunate enough to see this turtle as it was basking under the heat lamp allowing me to take a picture in which she appears to be posing. This species of turtle starts to lose its distinctive markings as it ages which I witnessed first hand when I saw an older yellow bellied slider in the same habitat as the slider pictured. I wanted a picture of this turtle as well but it proved to be too dark for my camera which lacked flash.

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

But did you check out her pants?