Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hyla cinerea green treefrog

I found this frog while walking through the woods in Florida. I wanted to write about something that I have seen and this was the first herp that I came across. Here is a picture of the one I found sitting on my wrist.

The green treefrog, Hyla cinerea, is very prevalent in Florida and ranges from up the east coast as far as Virginia west to Texas and along the southern coast. They are around 2.5" long and are usually green but may be yellow and have a white to yellow lateral stripe that extends down the side. Some have yellow spots on their backs.

I found one perfectly camouflaged with the fan of a palm leaf. I must have walked by tons of them because after I found one I began seeing them everywhere.

1 comment:

Michelle Boone said...

Sounds like you got your frog glasses on...always amazing how many animals you can see once you get your search image. The people in SC know the dirt on these frogs, but the people in OH want the scoop.