Saturday, March 3, 2012

Natural History: speckled kingsnake



Family: Colubridae

Common Name: speckled kingsnake

Scientific Name: Lampropeltis getula holbrooki

Description: This subspecies of common kingsnake, also known as the salt-and-pepper snake, is known by its very distinctive markings. Underneath, the snake is yellowish-whitish, extending onto the lower jaw, with some dark blotches. The upperside has a dark blackish ground color, but is generously speckled with whitish to deep yellow flecks. In fact, each scale usually contains at least one speckle, giving the snake the pattern. The snake can grow to 48 inches, though the record is 72 inches, and is generally calm when found in the wild. This snake is not venomous.

Range: The speckled kingsnake subspecies ranges from southern Iowa to the Gulf Coast, west to parts of Texas and east to Alabama. Outside of this range to the west, it overlaps broadly with other subspecies of kingsnake, producing hybrids.

Habitat: The speckled kingsnake can be found in a variety of habitats, from wooded areas to more open clearings and grasslands. In general, it has been found that they prefer wetter areas more than other subspecies, though this varies widely.

Diet: Kingsnakes are quite remarkable in that a large part of their diet includes other snake species. Kingsnakes can even consume venomous species, being at least partially immune to the toxins. They kill their prey by constriction, and additionally consume large amounts of small mammals, as well as turtle eggs, amphibians, and lizards. In general, they are opportunistic hunters, and will even eat other members of their own species.

Reproduction: Females are oviparous, laying up to two dozen eggs in June or July in debris piles. These eggs can hatch from August to October, and the juveniles feed until cold weather forces them to hibernate in wood piles. Many juveniles feed heavily on various garter snake species.

Personal Experience: Two summers ago, I held a field position based out of Lawton, Oklahoma, studying an endangered songbird species and its reproductive habits on a military installation called Fort Sill. While roaming the wilder portions of the base searching for signs of reproductive activity of the bird I was studying, I would invariably come across several snake species. Occasionally these were rattlesnakes or copperheads, and most frequently they were coachwhips, but one time I was fortunate enough to find a speckled kingsnake. I was exploring a rocky outcrop heavily forested by relatively large scrub oaks, and while listening for birdsong, heard a slithering sound near my position. Walking to the sound, I began to hear a rustling noise very reminiscent of a rattlesnake rattle, and immediately stood still, obviously taking precautions against upsetting a venomous diamondback. Scanning the ground, I saw a snake moving away, and immediately noted it was not a rattlesnake or copperhead, so I investigated further. Upon closer approach, the snake doubled back and froze, and began to rustle its tail in some dead leaf litter. At this point, I realized I had found a kingsnake and was very excited. Realizing this rattling sound was merely a mechanism employed by the snake to frighten would-be predators, I approached and was able to rather easily handle the snake. Upon handling, I noted the snake was rather docile and calm, though it musked heavily and for the remainder of the day I smelled very unpleasant. After some examination and pictures, I released the snake where I had found him. The snake began to rattle again upon being let go, at which point I began to laugh, since I was obviously acutely aware this imposter was not a rattler. I guess the snake couldn’t figure out I wasn’t afraid of his performance. This ended up being the only kingsnake I found all summer, and I am glad I was able to see this remarkable subspecies up close. It is worth noting that, due to the location with which I found this snake, it is highly likely it may have been a hybrid with a desert kingsnake, though in phenotypic terms it appeared as a speckled. I do not have the experience or knowledge to be able to distinguish a hybrid, but perhaps someone reading can tell from my included photographs if this individual contained some desert genes?



1 comment:

Michelle Boone said...

Brad, this is *very cool* and I love the stunning pictures. Isn't it exciting to find snakes on the job? Sounds like a great summer job.