Sunday, March 18, 2012

Natural History: Hyla Cinera

Natural History: Hyla cinera, The Green Treefrog

I came across this handsome little guy one day on my screen door. About the size of a quarter, he is almost fully grown, as they only get to be anywhere between 1 and 2 inches long. As seen, he is bright green in color, but his lateral stripe was not noticeable, however I did not want to disrupt him so I looked from a far.

While trying to take a picture of this little guy it was almost as if he was posing for the camera. He glanced back, as seen in this photo, and stopped climbing across to try to find a hiding spot. He was very photogenic!

The green treefrog is an inhabitant of almost any place that has a good supply with water or dampness, including swamps, streams, floating vegetation, etc. They are also found largely throughout the southeast - South Carolina, of course, Georgia, Florida, even as far as some parts of Texas.

In addition, in our field guide it even says that they are "frequent visitors to windows at night, where they seek insects attracted by lights," and that is exactly where I found him, my screen door window!


1 comment: