Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Natural History of Thamnophis sirtalis

 

    On our third herpetology field trip we had the pleasure of finding this beautiful Eastern Garter Snake, also known scientifically as Thamnophis sirtalis. This snake (which we believe to be female due it's cloaca and no sign of a hemipenis) was found at Stono Preserve in Charleston, South Carolina near a large bush near a body of water. Garter snakes are very common throughout our state/region. This is a typical area to find these types of snakes because they prefer moist grassy environments. Measurements of body length were not able to be obtained but if I had to estimate I would say she was roughly 2-2.5 ft long. She remained curled up while being held so estimates may not entirely be accurate. Because of the size of this garter snake we can assume she was an adult. These snakes are viviparous, meaning they give birth to live young, therefore juveniles are much smaller than the one pictured above. 

   

    While attempting to catch her she became slightly aggressive, indicating she felt as though she was in danger. In attempt to avoid capture she tried burrowing into the dead leaves. After that method proved to be unsuccessful, she then slid up the branches of the bush, where myself and Dr. Welch were able to catch her. Although, this was not done without consequences. Out of fear she released a foul-smelling musk onto my hand and struck the side of my pinky. We then allowed her to relax on a pillowcase until she was no longer feeling threatened. After a while, she mellowed out and actually allowed my fellow classmates to hold her without the pillowcase.

    This was a very special experience for me. I've always loved nature and the animals that reside there. Now of course I've held a snake but I've never caught one out in the wild, let alone be bit by one. I couldn't even be mad that she bit me because we were in her space. Overall, it was such an exciting feeling being able to see her up close nd definitely gave me an even greater appreciation for the experiences and lessons that wildlife has to offer. 

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

I'm so glad you had this experience! Without attempting to evert the hemipenes, what aspect of the cloacal area suggested that this individual was a female?