Thursday, March 24, 2022

Natural History of the American Alligator

I spotted this American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) when I visited home during spring break at Santee Canal park in Moncks Corner. This species is in the order Crocodilia and the family Alligatoridae. They are often mistaken as crocodiles, which have a less broad, more v-shaped snout and their fourth tooth is visible sticking upward when their mouth is closed. I spotted it walking the trails with a dog I was fostering when I looked up and saw this cutie sunbathing. The alligator blended in so well with its neighboring environment that my friend did not even notice it at first and I had to point it out to her. The dog I was walking actually never noticed it. I was expecting to see an alligator at some point during our walk since their courting season is beginning soon and they are starting to be more active. The county park Cypress Gardens, which is also in Moncks Corner, actually bans dogs from coming to the park during the months of March-October because alligators are so active during this time. During these first few months they are courting/mating, around summer they start laying their eggs, and once fall starts to come around there are hatchlings running around. Santee Canal is the perfect habitat for this species because it is a huge area of swamps, ponds, woods, muddy areas, and more that all connect to the river. There are plenty of areas for the alligators to build nests, bask in the sun, find food, and more. I am not sure if this individual was a male or female. It was only around six feet so it could possibly be a female or a male that was still growing. The pollen and dried mud on it prevented me from being able to see if it had any crossbands, which would help in estimating its age. Since alligators are ectothermic, it was likely sunbathing to raise its body temperature. It showed no interest in us but I still went down a different trail to avoid disturbing it. I have always found alligators really interesting so I was very happy that we were able to see one during our walk!

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Great find! I didn't know that Cypress Gardens prohibits dogs during the summer due to alligators!