Thursday, March 24, 2022

Natural History of the Eastern Copperhead


Eastern Copperhead: Agkistrodon contortrix 










Eastern Copperheads are a species of venomous pit viper endemic to the central and southeastern United States. These snakes are often found in mountainous or lowland forests where they can seek shelter in caves or underneath logs in the forest underbrush. They have copper-colored bands spanning the length of their back and triangular-shaped heads containing venomous sacks and heat-sensing pits. This species also has vertically compressed pupils, similar to that of a cat.

I was unable to get a good look at the head of this individual as I was maintaining a safe distance from this venomous, dangerous snake. This Copperhead was sitting underneath a log where I spotted it while hiking along a trail at Carolina Beach State Park in Wrightsville, NC. The banding on this individual was very bright and distinct as it slithered further into the pine straw behind the log. I would assume this snake was fully grown, or near it as it was quite long. Copperheads tend to inhabit woody forests such as this one. They often come out of a type of brumation in the spring to search for mates- which is something this individual could have been doing. This experience was extremely exciting for me as it was the first venomous snake I have come across in the wild after having only witnessed them in zoos and aquariums before! I wish I could have gotten a better picture and seen the whole snake- but I am glad to have had the opportunity to see one at all.


1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Approximately how long was this individual, and what is they typical adult length? Also, what time of year was this encounter?