Sunday, April 5, 2015

Tell-Tale Blue Tail


When replaced a marbled salamander that I had found earlier to the log that I had found it underneath, my friend and I decided to look the skink that had eluded us the first time we searched for it. By shifting some detritus away from the edge of a log, I was able to spot the tell-tale blue tail of the skink. With the help of my friend, we were able to keep track of it long enough to see it start climbing a tree. While she attempted to corner it from the other side, I was able to cup my hand around it while it was clinging to the trunk of the tree. Upon closer examination I learned that it was a Southeastern Five-Lined Skink (Plestidon inexpectatus) of the Scincidae family. This species is identified by 5 distinct narrow lines down the torso. We could tell this one was a juvenile because it still had the 5 narrow orange stripes along it's face and a distinct blue tail. In order to distinguish this species from its sister group the Five-Lined Skink (Plestidon faciatus), we looked under the tail. The scales were all about the same size which is consistent with the Southeastern version. This little guy was very fast and very small, about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. He scampered along the ground at first and then climbed up onto a tree. When trying to show him off to my classmates, he was very mobile, trying to squirm away. As soon as I returned him to the log I had overturned he quickly ran under the detritus and disappeared.