Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Class Mascot?

I had a lot of fun reading other people had to recommend for our class mascot, and when I have to nominate one, I'm finding myself in a hard situation. I think that hognose snake our Thursday group encountered was super cool and put on a great show for us. But the little ground skink was super dossal and nice to me too! And so were the greater siren, and pretty much every other herpts we've encountered! I've also started to appreciate many of the frogs when I studied for my lab final.

It is a tough decision, and we ARE covering two very different classes in herpetology, so picking any one animal won't really do the other ones, or the other class, justice. And I also agree that we should pick something colorful and attention grabbing. So, maybe we should just let this dragonfly that liked to hang out with us on our last field trip be our mascot?


Just kidding.

Well, if I have to pick one for our CLASS, I'd choose the two-toed amphium, Amphiuma means, since it greated us in huge numbers (8) on the very first field trip, and greeted us with its appearances frequently through the following field trips, including that one that died on the very last trip (sad). They are also very unique in its number of toes, and its smooth defense mechanism. And it's also a peaceful little things that serves the ecosystem well since many water birds like to feed on them. Plus, I'm sure we are all very thankful for the amount of trouble it gave us memorizing its Latin name LOL.        

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Peaceful unless it bites you (or so the field guide tells us)! Definitely a memorable herp!