Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Peek into a Huge Turtle Mouth!

I'm posting a very cool video I took at the optional field trip at the Turtle Survival Alliance, featuring us interacting with this awesome Asian brown Tortoises, Manouria emys.(You know it's awesome because it's Asian~)

This particular individual is a female and is estimated to be over 30 years old. It has a hole drilled at the edge of its carapace from when she was captured by the locals to sell to the turtle market. What they do is they put a rope through the hole and tie her up so she can't escape. She is also blind due to cataracts--she thought we were feeding her with food, that's why she kept opening her mouth. She was very friendly (maybe).

I won't say too much, you can find more information from Leah's blog: http://ourherpclass.blogspot.com/2015/04/trip-to-tsa.html , which inspired me to have this post.

(PS: I am super glad that this website saves my work automatically! There was just a power problem where I was and hooray not having to type up everything again!!!)