Monday, March 11, 2019

From Brown to Green: Anolis carolinensis


Green Anole: Anolis carolinensis
Location: Caw Caw Interpretive Center (Charleston, SC)

The organism is an adult male approximately 6 inches long.  He was found in the dry scattered leaves hiding under a log. He was about 50 yards away from the nearest water source (a channel in a swamp). I noticed when I turned over the log that was accompanied by another member of the same species. He was difficult to catch because he repeatedly scurried away from my reach.  I finally was able to sneak up and catch him.  Shortly after catching, he turned into his bright green color (seen in the picture). It was interesting to feel his digits stick to my skin as I was holding him.  I often see these little guys running around the local area and it was awesome to finally see one up close!

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

How could you tell this individual was a male?