Sunday, March 24, 2013

Warning....Venomous Snake, Cottonmouth

        Cottonmouth seen in Caw Caw County Park

At Caw Caw County Park near Charleston, SC, I saw for the first time in the wild a venomous snake. Being from Michigan, I have never been worried about snakes. Michigan has only one venomous snake, the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. It is known commonly by many in Michigan as the ‘Michigan rattlesnake.’ One would think I would know something about this snake after spending the majority of my life in Michigan out in the wilderness in areas such as forest, farms, swamps, etc. I thought Michigan might have had one poisonous snake, but only with an online search did I know for sure. This is how little concern I had for snakes in Michigan. I’ve seen three black widow spiders in Michigan and that’s it for venomous interactions. I’d be more worried about cougar interactions than I would be with venomous snakes. As a child, I loved playing with snakes, frogs, turtles, and other animals. However, I found that as I grew older and the farther south I got, the less interested I was in snakes. South Carolina is home to far too many venomous snakes for me to be comfortable with. Now that I can identify the venomous snakes in South Carolina I can be sure to avoid them even more so than I will be avoiding all of the other snakes.
Our Herpetology lab started out by checking minnow traps that were set in the black water swamp beside the forest in the county park. Just before we prepared to move onto our next trap location, our lab assistant, Hannah, spotted a water snake near the bank of the swamp. Unfortunately, we were unable to net the snake. While looking for it, another student spotted a snake resting on a small branch in the same area as the first snake. The second snake dropped into the water and was not caught either. We picked up our gear and continued to the next location of minnow traps. We were walking down a flooded out path through the woods next to the marsh. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a curled up snake which was a safe viewing distance away. The snake was quickly identified as an Eastern Cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus piscivorus. Being the first time I had seen a poisonous snake in the wild, I was very excited about spotting it. Not only was it positively identified as a venomous snake, but it just looked plain dangerous, majestic, but dangerous. It was a humbling experience.
By the time that I had seen the snake, it was already curled up in a defensive striking position. The cottonmouth may, when it feels threatened, open its mouth and expose the trait that earned it its name, a cotton white interior mouth. The cottonmouth is a large semi-aquatic pit viper with all of the characteristics of the pit viper family. They usually have a size of 24 to 48 inches. The snake I saw was curled up making it difficult to determine the size but a guess would call it average.  Behavior can help with the identification of these snakes that can be confused with water snakes. Cottonmouths often remain where they are or slowly retreat, whereas water snakes commonly retreat quickly or drop into the water. The cottonmouth has a variety of possible colors such as olive, black, or brown with a lighter colored belly. The snake has dark cross bands with more or less distinct borders often with a lighter color in the center. They also can have a small marking of the darker colored border in the lighter colored center. The snake we saw fit this description very well. Juveniles and young adults are usually disctinctly patterned and older adults may have little or no patterns, hinting that the snake we saw was not an old adult. Other characteristics that can help distinguish the cottonmouth from a water snake include: weakly keeled dorsal scales, single row of scales under tail, and single anal plate.
No distinguishing pattern, cotton white mouth
Another color variation, juvenile

The female cottonmouth produces 1-20 live young every two to three years. They are found in freshwater wetlands, lakes, rivers, cypress swamps, and wetlands. They are often found basking during the day near water, much like the one I saw. The cottonmouth can be an opportunistic feeder and uses ambush as well as active hunting strategies mostly at night for food. The cottonmouth eats a variety of animals such as: amphibians, lizards, snakes, small turtles, mammals, birds, and fish. An important thing I learned, especially with a boating trip planned down a river a month from now, is about the differences between the cottonmouth and water snakes. Including those already mentioned others can help differentiate the two. Cottonmouths are rarely found high in trees whereas that is where water snakes often bask. Also, Cottonmouths in the water can be recognized for the fact that most of their body is out of the water while swimming.  
Looking back on the experience, I am very thankful for it. On our next field experience, I was actively looking for snakes. Perhaps the reason was to avoid stepping on a poisonous snake, but I was excited to see some. I may not want to hold snakes but I can appreciate the fact that they are very cool and interesting creatures. I would have nothing wrong with having a small non venomous snake in a terrarium next to my array of aquariums, and my once-feral cat may agree. I do not, however, want to bump into one unexpectedly while hunting or boating. Luckily, though, I can now recognize the ones to be cautiously avoided in this area of the South.                                                                                                       References:
 Peterson Field Guides: Reptiles and Amphibians, Eastern/Central North America. 

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

And of course, the head shape and appearance of the eye, can also be used to help distinguish between Nerodia and cottonmouths.