Monday, March 18, 2013

Natural History: The Mediterranean House Gecko



Not long after I arrived at the College of Charleston I noticed these small, pale lizards that seemed to be quite abundant and only ventured out at night.  During a nighttime stroll, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to catch one of these strange looking lizards.  Only once I was able to inspect the lizard up-close did I realize that Charleston was infested with geckos.  Being a native of South Carolina, I knew that geckos were not native inhabitants.  Recently, I have noticed these little geckos coming inside and I have been able to catch two within the past month.  While two may not seem like many, these little geckos completely disappear when the temperature drops.

The gecko that I noticed shortly after arriving in Charleston was the Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus).  This species is, like I said before, not native to South Carolina but has been introduced.  Interestingly, it does not appear to be a devastating invasive species.  H. turcicus can grow to reach 4 – 5 inches.  It shares the stereotypical gecko “body shape.”  They have sticky toe pads that allow them to cling to the side of buildings.  They also have vertical pupils, lack eyelids, and have bumpy skin.  For the longest time I thought that they were Leopard Geckos (Eublepharis macularius) that someone let loose because they look similar. 

Being invasive species, these geckos have traveled quite far from home.  They were originally common in Southern Europe and Northern Africa but have been introduced to many new places around the globe.  H. turcicus is almost completely nocturnal, which is why you find them at night clinging to the side of buildings.  Usually they are clustered around lights waiting to snap up bugs.  However, I have seen them skitter up the side of buildings chasing after moths and they are quite fast (and usually a pain to catch).  They eat a variety of insects, spiders, and other invertebrates. 

The female Mediterranean gecko will lay several clutches consisting of two eggs throughout the summer.  Interestingly, there have been instances of communal nesting.  The Mediterranean Gecko seems to be firmly established in South Carolina and is quickly becoming entrenched in many other states throughout the United States. 

Here in Charleston, we see the greatest number of these geckos during the spring and summer months when they are plastered to the side of buildings.  As I noted before, the geckos become much harder to find during the winter.  The ones that I have been lucky enough to find during the winter have all been indoors.  It seems that they are sneaking into cracks to enjoy the heat inside of houses and other buildings.  During the warmer months, I have yet to find a gecko indoors/outdoors that exceeds 1.5 inches.  Based on the size, I would guess that all of the geckos I have caught have been juveniles.  Due to the small size of the geckos, the sex has been undeterminable.

Growing up in South Carolina, the lizard I interacted with the most was the Carolina Anole (Anolis carolinensis) so it’s very interesting to see these geckos become so prominent throughout the state.  While there hasn’t been enough time to truly understand the impacts they may have, it seems that they are fitting easily into the new habitats.  If Hemidactylus turcicus is able to live alongside the other South Carolina species without negative consequences then I believe that it will be a welcome addition to the diversity of South Carolina.  

Works Cited:
"Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus Turcicus)." Species Profile: Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus Turcicus). N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2013.
Musselman, Mark. N.d. Photograph. Audubon South Carolina. 15 Aug. 2008. Web. 16 Mar. 2013. <http://beidlerforest.blogspot.com/2008/08/geckos-and-treefrogs.html>. 

1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Are they inhabiting an available niche, or are some other species likely suffering from resource competition with the introduced geckos? They sure are cute, though.