Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pythons and Boas and what?! Oh my!


Several topics about herps have crossed through my mind ever since being instructed to write a blog for my Herpetology class here at the College of Charleston. I had no earthly clue what I should write about or really why I should write about these unusual looking creatures. That is, until I had the opportunity to stay the week with my Uncle and his family in Mt. Pleasant. It’s such a different environment compared to homely ‘ole Hanahan SC. Little did I know, part of my blog topic was living in the room next to me!

Earlier this afternoon, my cousin walks in the kitchen with a box all taped up. I was curious and asked him what was in it. He opened it up and inside was a rat. “Why do you have a rat?” I inquired as femininely as possible. He simply replied: “To feed my snake.” I was immediately shocked to find out about a snake dwelling in my cousin’s bedroom right next to my temporary bedroom. I was also immediately fascinated to watch the feeding as I had just held a Red Tail Boa at the South Carolina Aquarium while on a herpetology field trip a week prior. To my surprise, I looked down into a cage of a Ball Tail Python. However, I thought it looked just like the Red Tail Boa I had seen just the week before, only smaller. I then realized I had no idea what were the differences between these two types of Serpentines.

Obviously, these two snakes are of two different families. I didn’t really know that. I just saw a sand colored slithering thing with dark splotchy spots and nonchalantly thought “Snake.” Even worse was thinking they’re both the same due to their power of constricting their prey. This is not an acceptable trait as a brooding herpetology student. So I set out on a little investigation to finally be able to tell a random person (and myself) the difference between these two species.

The Ball Tail Python is scientifically referred to as Python regius of the family Pythonidae. They are non venomous and their origins are from Africa. My cousin has this fella because it is a common pet to have here in America. Python regius gets its common name from its ability to tightly coil into a ball when stressed or frightened.  I also just found out they can hold onto their eggs and protect them by tightly coiling in this ball-like fashion from a Literature Synthesis presentation recently given by a fellow Herpetology class member. Adults usually do not grow longer than about 4 feet. Females are bigger than males as what has been extremely evident in egg laying herps so far this semester. The color pattern is usually black with tan or gold colored sides and splotches. Their diets consist of small mammals just like the rat I observed being devoured today. Python regius is even considered sacred in some parts of Africa and revered as the “Earth Snake.” If someone accidentally kills Python regius, the African community will make a small coffin for it and have funeral for it. Pyhton regius has heat pits to sense where their prey is. This was cool to see in action; though the rat did climb on top of the python before being struck and crushed. So needless to say, the python probably felt the rat on top of him before using his heat sensory.


Additional to constricting their prey, their bony jaws are able to expand to take in larger portions of their prey as seen below with my cousin’s Python regius.


On the other hand, there is the Red Tail Boa. I, along with all of my lab members that day at the aquarium, enjoyed the presence of Rosie. She was quite sweet and extremely photogenic.


Scientifically referred to as Boa constrictor of the family Boidae, Boa constrictor is different from Python regius in the following ways:  Size, color pattern, origins and lack of physiological traits. Boa Constrictor grows to about 7 feet long. Their color pattern is slightly different in that they have reddish-brown “saddles” on their backs. This is how the snake gets its common name Red Tail boa. The saddles become a more pronounce red towards the tail. Boa constrictor comes from Central and South America. That’s quite a ways away from Python regius in Africa. Boa constrictor is actually live bearing and lacks the heat sensory pits that Python regius exhibits.

I can now brag that I can tell these two snakes apart. It can be hard to tell the differences between many snakes if they are not studied and researched. Due to my research, I was able to educate not only myself, but also my cousin and Aunt on the differences between Python regius and Boa constrictor.

Sources:


1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

Great photos of your cousin's snake feeding. (Poor rat!)