Monday, May 4, 2009

Snake from Great Smokey Mountains National Park



Snake from Great Smokey Mountains National Park

In 2007 I went camping in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park in NC/TN. I was walking around the stream to take some pictures when I almost stepped on a snake. I was able to get some photos of it before it dove into the water. Knowing nothing about snakes at the time, I asked a ranger what I found and he could not identify it. So it remained a mystery, until I took herpetology. It is definitely a water snake, Nerodia. The dark reddish markings on its back are wider than the lighter spaces in-between. This suggests that it is a Northern water snake instead of a midland, because in the midland the darker spaces are narrower that the ones in between. Also, according to my field guide, the Northern water snake’s habitat includes the area of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. So I concluded that my unknown snake must be Nerodia sipedon, Northern water snake.

Kimberlee Lisicki

No comments: