Monday, May 4, 2009

On April 2nd, our herpetology class went to Riley, OH. The temperature was around 60 degrees F. We were walking through a forest rich with logs and much for an amphibian to hide under. I happened to find this streamside salamander, Ambystoma barbouri, underneath a tire in the midst of leaf litter serving as a shelter. There was very moist soil under the tire and a couple of red-backed salamanders could also be found. There was a small stream nearby that helps to distinguish this species from its almost identical relative, the smallmouth salamander. The smallmouth prefers to breed around ponds whereas the streamside prefers a habitat around streams. Location is generally a good way to tell the two apart if you happen to come across one in the field. The streamside also has 14-16 costal grooves on its sides. It was a nice size to fit into my hand as it can be seen and I did have some thoughts to take my new friend with me. But I let him go like a good herpetologist.

(Drew Smith, Miami University)

1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...

Forgot to leave my name - Drew Smith, Miami University