Saturday, May 2, 2009

Eastern Garter Snake


During a late night excursion into the wilds of Oxford, OH; I discovered an exciting member of the Colubridae family.  While immersed in the pitch black forest, I heard a tapping at my toes.   I switched on my loaner flashlight to find the hopping of what I have come to suspect was a toad.  Eager to catch him I gave chase that someone could only describe as bad.  I tripped over, what I would call a downed tree limb or others would call a long twig.  When I caught my footing I discovered a juvenile Thamnophis sirtalis.  I couldn't help but reflect on the overwintering of the eastern garter snake because that is the first thing I always think about.  I recalled that eastern garter snakes reside in a hibernacula; home to large number of Thamnophis sirtalis.  They emerge and greet the new warmth with a yawn and a quick basking.  After a few photos and a hug, he was released back into the woods.  Cody Rabert (Oxford, OH).

1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...
This comment has been removed by the author.