Monday, May 1, 2017

I came across a red-eared slider in a local pond in South Carolina. The scientific name for this turtle is Trachemys scripta elegans. This semiaquatic turtle belongs to the family Emydidae. It had the signature red stripe on its head behind its eyes. It had stripes on its legs and striped "pants." You could see its limbs that adapted for its semiaquatic lifestyle. I would think this animal is an adult male based on its size. It was about the middle of the day when I came across the turtle. He was basking in the sun on the rock in its pond. I found it interesting to observe the turtle basking with the majority of his surface area facing the sun, maximizing the heat absorption.
Below is a picture of the red-eared slider I encountered. 

1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...

South Carolina is outside of the native range for the red-eared subspecies, so this one was probably introduced.