Thursday, May 4, 2017

class mascot - hyla cinerea

I believe Hyla cinerea would make a great mascot for our class not only because they're cool looking but also because they're pretty iconic to the Charleston environment.  Sorry Southern Cricket frog but I believe the Green Tree frog represents the class and Charleston because if anyone has lived in the area for the quite some time, you would realize the amount of inches in rain Charleston receives, which is ridiculous. Not very fun if you live on the peninsula but if you stay on one of the islands across from the Cooper or Ashley river you could easily hear them in your backyard.  We've covered in lecture that frogs utilize environmental cues to begin mating rituals.  After heavy amounts of rainfall I would see them along the windows of my house.  Their dark mysterious eyes were very perplexing, I was beginning to think that my house was a the spot for hormonal adults to find their match, like a Starbucks or a Food Court.  Their sizes generally range form 1 to 2 inches.  Clutch sizes can range from up to 300 to 1000 eggs.  Their diet also consist of small invertebrates.  I also think they have one of the coolest calls out of any South Eastern frog.

1 comment:

Herpetology Class said...

It's hard to argue with the iconic H. cinerea!