Sunday, March 22, 2015

Natural History: The Rough Green Snake

While playing disc golf at James Island County Park this past Saturday, I was on the lookout for amphibians and reptiles. I stumbled upon countless Carolina Anoles, Ground Skinks, and even a few Box Turtles. However, I was most interested in the Rough Green Snake that I found. The Rough Green Snake, Opheodrys aestivus, can be easily distinguished from other snakes in our region by their bright green color. Rough green snakes can grow up to 32 inches, and one that I found was well over two feet long. Females are typically larger than males, and based on my observations I think this snake was an adult female. Other characteristics that Rough Green Snakes possess are yellowish white bellies, keeled scales, and very slender bodies. Their slender body allows them to spend the majority of their time hunting for insects and other invertebrates, usually above ground in trees or bushes. However, the snake that I found was actually on the ground frozen in its tracks, most likely relying on its green color to try and camouflage so that I would not see it. The habitat at James Island County Park is mostly forest, with a few small ponds scattered throughout. I found the snake a few hundred yards from one of the ponds, which is consistent with the habitat that Rough Green Snakes like to occupy. They are typically found close to forest edges or ponds, where they search overhanging vegetation for prey. I handled the snake for a few minutes and captured some photographs, and then released the snake back to the leaf litter where I first found it.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I find your post quite interesting, largely due to the subject! I stumbled upon (not literally, but almost)a rough green snake myself on Saturday when I was trying to get through some bush next to a little pond. It seems like I'm unable to put a picture in a comment, but the snake was hanging on bush branches. I didn't pay much attention to it until I literally touched it trying to fight the bush and it moved. Even then I thought it was a creepy long worm at first lol. The one I found was shorter than yours, about 50cm,and very pretty! I could see its body cavity moving up and down when I held it. It was truly amazing! And the contrast between its orangish red tongue and the bright green body was enjoyable as well. Another thing that was interested is I noticed its tongue leaning to the side where my arm was when it was "trying to figure out what's going on"; I didn't know snake tongues would do that. I didn't know how to tell the sexes, and since mine was smaller, it could either be a male or younger female. Do you know how else to tell the sexes besides body size?-- Diana

Allison Welch said...

Beautiful snake!